Friday, January 10, 2014

Smoked Salmon and Leek Chowder

When we were in Nova Scotia this past summer my mother-in-law made a great appetizer using smoked salmon.  Now if your like me smoked salmon is basically lox but that is not true.  There is a whole other kind of salmon that is referred to as "hot" salmon and it is delicious.  It is flaky and smoky and is sold as a fillet. 

So, when I saw this recipe in Fine Cooking, it was a chance to try a great chowder with some of the delicious salmon.  The recipe was quick and easy and the salmon was the star.  It is a great recipe for after work because it comes easily and doesn't require much cook time for a hot bowl of chowder.

Something I would do differently next time is put the leeks, celery and potatoes into a bag with the flour and salt and pepper.  Then I would fry them all together.  I think it would give another level of flavor. 

No comments: