Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sweet Memories

Drink.

When I was a kid it was a special treat to stop by the local A&W for a Root Beer Float. Thinking about this led me to my next thought, “Why haven’t I had a Root Beer Float in over 20 years?” I believe the answer is that it is not readily available at most places we frequent as adults. Sure we could make one easily enough at our home but usually after a hard day’s work it is all I can do to throw something in the microwave.

All this thinking about Root Beer Floats made me wonder if I was the only one who had not indulged myself in a decade? So, I began bringing the topic up in various conversations. The surprising thing is that I almost always got the same response, “Root Beer Floats, why haven’t I had one in such a long time?” This was usually followed by a twinkle of the eye and a faraway look with a silly grin.

Well it is high time we brought back the joys of yesteryear. The RBF has many different variations you could adapt to your event. If you were having a bit of an upscale gathering, why not try Root Beer Granita topped with a scoop of ice cream and drizzled with Root Beer Syrup. If you wanted a more adult version, you could always throw in a little Bourbon. If you are having passed hors d’oeuvres try a miniature version to be served as a sweet treat at the end of the night.

At your next social gathering break out the Root Beer and Vanilla Ice Cream and watch them smile. --b



No comments: