Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Weeknight Pepperoncini Pasta

Recipe.

The harsh weather of the last two weeks has forced me to become creative with my usual kitchen staples. I found a recipe in Bon Appetit that I thought sounded delish, but I had to tweak it a bit to make my available supplies work. OMG...it is now my favorite go-to weeknight recipe...Pepperoncini Pasta. Spicy, creamy tomato sauce with hearty pasta that only takes about 20 minutes to make. You have got to try it.



Pepperoncini Pasta

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb ground sirloin
½ cup sliced peperoncini, plus 1 cup liquid from jar
½ cup onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried orgegano
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp basil
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 24oz jar marinara sauce
¾ cup heavy cream
3/4 - 1 lb whole wheat penne pasta
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh basil and parm for garnish

Heat oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Add ground sirloin, cooking until browned, breaking into pieces, about 6 minutes. Add pepperoncini, onions, and next 6ingredients, cook until onions are tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add pepperoncini liquid; stir until most of liquid is absorbed, about 1 minute. Add marinara and cream. Cook until heated through and slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in another large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain. Transfer pasta and 3 Tbsp of cheese to pot with sauce. Stir to incorporate. Transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle with basil and cheese.`

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Oh my sweet, Italian goodness! Ha ha! I love Italian ANYTHING. Some day I hope to visit Rome and eat everything! lol. :)

Cortney said...

I made this a few weeks ago and both my husband and I LOVED it... thanks for sharing!