Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Summer Lobstah Roll

Recipe.

In my efforts to have the “best summer ever,” I am logging all the beach time I can handle. This week we are staying all week at a beach house on Long Island. Since I knew this meant we would have several visits from friends, I wanted to make sure I had a special little treat to offer. I also wanted to make sure it was quick and super easy.

I decided on Lobster Rolls with Lemon Vinaigrette and Garlic Butter. Now that may not sound easy but everything can be prepped beforehand and then all it takes is a few minutes in the toaster oven and voila.

I saw this recipe in an old issue of Gourmet magazine (RIP) and liked the fact that it replaced mayonnaise with the lemon vinaigrette which makes for a healthier and more flavorful lobster roll. Judging by the oohs and aahs after every savory bite. I would say this is lobstah roll is a hit!




LOBSTER ROLLS WITH LEMON VINAIGRETTE AND GARLIC BUTTER
• 4 (1 1/4- to 1 1/2-lb) live lobsters
• 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions
• 1/4 cup finely chopped peeled celery
• 1/4 cup celery leaves
• 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
• 1/2 stick unsalted butter
• 3 garlic cloves, smashed
• 6 hot dog buns, preferably top-split


1. Prepare a gas grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-high heat; see “Grilling Procedure.”

2. Plunge 2 lobsters headfirst into a large pot of salted boiling water and cook, partially covered, over medium-high heat 8 minutes (for 1 1/4-lb lobsters) to 9 minutes (for 1 1/2-lb lobsters) from time they enter water. Transfer with tongs to an ice bath and let stand until completely cooled. Return water to a boil and cook and cool remaining 2 lobsters. Remove meat from claws, joints, and tails. Save carcasses, shells, and any roe for another use (see "To Make Lobster Stock" and "To Make Lobster Oil"). Coarsely chop meat.

3. Whisk together lemon juice, oil, and 1/2 tsp salt in a large bowl. Whisk in scallions, celery, celery leaves, and parsley, then add lobster and gently toss. Season with salt.

4. Melt butter with garlic in a small saucepan over low heat, mashing garlic with a spoon.

5. Brush inside of buns with garlic butter. Grill, buttered side down, until golden, about 1 minute.

6. Fill buns with lobster.

3 comments:

Lilacandgrey said...

I am making this recipe tomorrow! Thank you!!

The Maiden Metallurgist said...

I'm going to bookmark this recipe for my parents visit later this summer!

Unknown said...

omg, yum! I have heard about these a hundred times but I have yet to have one!

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
party inspiration