Friday, July 16, 2010

Shrimp Cocktail Salad

Recipe.

The bad news is, the days of finding plentiful shrimp are soon to be over. The good news is we still have a little time to eat as much shrimp as possible. Shrimp cocktail is a classic appetizer, delicious shrimp dipped into horseradish-cocktail sauce. I wanted to capture that flavor in a dish that was a little more filling but still light and perfect for summer. The answer: shrimp cocktail salad.



Shrimp Cocktail Salad
4 main dish servings

4 large ripe tomatoes sliced
¼ c. prepared horseradish
2 tsp. packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. hot pepper sauce
4 stalks celery
1 Avocado
2 scallions
1 lb. cooked shelled and deveined jump shrimp, with tail part of shell left on

Directions:
1. Set fine mesh sieve over medium bowl. Holding 1 tomato slice over sieve, scoop seeds into sieve. Divide tomatoes among 4 serving plates

2. Prepare dressing: Into bowl with tomato juice, whish horseradish, brown sugar, oil, lemon juice, hot sauce, and salt and pepper to taste until sugar dissolves. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.

3. To serve, arrange celery slices, then shrimp, over sliced tomatoes. Stir dressing to blend, then drizzle over shrimp, celery and tomatoes. Garnish salads with diced avocado and scallions.

3 comments:

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Wow! Does that look good! And horseradish in the recipe to give it some bite I would guess. I have to try this! Thanks for posting!

Ashley said...

Mmm...that looks delicious. Adding this to my recipe list.

I found your link through 2PreppyGirls and I love your blog. Adding it to my reader!

Haber Oaks said...

This look terrific! My girlfriend just brought up shrimp from Mobile yesterday (shrimp is safe!) and I am going to make this for lunch for my hubby and me.