Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Easter Baskets

Healthy choices.

About this time every year, I start adding extra errands to my weekly list to pick up treats for Easter baskets. This year I have decided to include some healthier candy options into the baskets. Note that I mention the word “some healthier” because in my book, no Easter basket would be complete without a Cadbury Egg and a Reese’s peanut butter cup. I also like to include some little non-candy items that I know the person would enjoy.

I was very excited when I opened my April issue of Food Network Magazine and saw the feature, “Goody-Goody Basket. Each candy has a nutritional boost in some form. I will share the list below.


Gimme Omega 3-This candy bar consists of chocolate coated puffed rice that is loaded with flax and has 350 mg of heart-healthy omega 3 fatty acids. The candy bar and many other healthy choices can be found at naturalcandystore.com

Jelly Belly’s New Superfruit mix-Filled with juices from acai berries, cherries, cranberries, blueberries and pomegranates. They can be found at most stores or if you want to order online jellybelly.com.

Dark Chocolate Rabbit-The dark chocolate rabbit has 18 percent less sugar than a milk-chocolate bunny and it’s loaded with heart-healthy polyphenols. sees.com

Fruity Bears-This is a great alternative to gummy bears and half of the bag provides 100 percent of the daily-recommended dose of vitamin C. They are also made without artificial dyes or corn syrup. Surfsweets.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE this idea...I will definitely be getting some of these healthy sweets for my sweetie!