Friday, December 10, 2010

Holiday Reading

Book Suggestions.

When the thermometer drops below 30 degrees and all of my favorite tv shows go on a brief holiday hiatus, I find myself craving a warm fire, a big blanket, a cup of tea or coffee, and a really good book.

photo courtesy of moonlightbulb on flickr.


Last year during this time, I was smack dab in the middle of house hunting and spent my spare time reading MLS sheets. But this year, I want to savor some juicy literature. I'm talking pure, fictional escapism.

I just picked up The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I know I'm way behind on this bandwagon, but I'm loving every minute of it so far. And at least I'll have it read before Daniel Craig heats up the screen with the movie adaptation.



But I know that I'm going to breeze through this one pretty quickly, so I'd love some recommendations from you all out there. Whatcha reading these days??

8 comments:

Jen said...

I just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett a few weeks ago. It was an incredible book!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I agree, The Help was wonderful! I just finished Nick Hornby's hilarious The Polysyllabic Spree and am now reading Jasper Fforde's wonderful Shades of Grey.

Chelsea said...

The Help is wonderful! I also enjoyed Freedom by John Franzen, Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall, and A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. I also live to read this time of year. Something about it being cold outside.

Killer Crock said...

You should pick up I Remember Nothing by Nora Ephron. I read it after I heard her on NPR discussing it. It's absolutely hilarious! Right on par with the movies she wrote, When Harry met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle and of course Julie and Julia!

Deborah said...

The Help is fantastic! I just finished reading "The Bucolic Plague : How Two Manhattanites Became Gentlemen Farmers - An Unconventional Memoir." It was in the recommended section at Barnes and Noble. I was laughing out loud at some points.

Alicia Heximer said...

anything by Augusten Burroughs!

Petra said...

Try Henning Mankell! Swedes know how to write crime novels. He is fantastic!!!

Haber Oaks said...

The Help was fantastic. Just finished reading Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls...a memoir. It was hard to put down!