Monday, December 19, 2011

Holiday Flowers

DIY.

Last weekend my husband and I threw a holiday party in our apartment lounge. The room was really large so I wanted to make a visual impact, so I decided that bold pops of red would be best. I fell in love with some absolutely stunning ranunculus from France at our flower market. But at a hefty price tag of $62 PER BUNCH...I had to say hello to my little friend, the carnation.



Yeah...I said it. The carnation. He gets no respect. This flower is dense and hearty and can look quite rich if you use it in monochromatic arrangements. To bump up the monochromatic factor, I also wrapped very simple vases with red satin ribbon. The result was quite bold. And did I mention CHEAP?!?!?!



SO if you are looking for a punchy arrangement for your holiday parties this week, give the carnation a look.



And don't worry if the blooms at your store aren't totally opened. Forcing them open is as easy as 1,2,3. Here's a video that shows you how.

1 comment:

Desiree said...

I admit, I never thought very highly of carnations, but these look great. The monochromatic approach really works.