Friday, March 18, 2011

Tulip Tricks

Floral.

Just when you think you can't handle another dreary grey day, Spring finally appears...well...kind of.

I know that technically the first day of Spring is next week, but Chicago is still feeling mighty winter-like to me. But I do have one thing to brighten my gloomy days - fresh cut tulips.



Actually, this is my favorite flower time of year and it's all because of tulips. They are almost always rather inexpensive and easy to find, come in a wealth of lovely colors, and are very easy to care for and arrange. And my favorite part is that they actually look better after a few days when they sort of fall into lazy swooping bundles of brightness.

Fresh cut flowers are a bit of an indulgence, but they add so much life to a space. Here are a few tips to extend the life of your floral investment in tulips:


Remove Foliage from the part of the stems that will be under water in your vase.

Cut off any white portion of the stem to allow better fluid intake. To prevent the intake of air into the stems, give them a fresh cut under water. Place immediately in a vase filled with water and fresh flower nutrients (preservative).

Recut 1 inch from the flower stems every 4-5 days to maintain water uptake.

Check the water in the vase frequently.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

Thanks for this! I'm always looking for techniques on keeping my flower fresh... and I love tulips!

Abby said...

LOVE tulips