Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Oh Canada!

Recipe.

The Olympics kicked off last Friday night. This got me thinking that one night this week I would prepare some Canadian specialties for dinner which we could eat in front of the television while watching ski jumping.

Of course when I think of Canadian cuisine the first thing that pops into my mind is poutine. My Canadian husband was quick to point out that poutine is a French Canadian specialty and really not eaten in Vancouver. I’m going to pretend that I didn’t hear that mainly so I can eat fries topped with gravy and cheese. Hopefully they drink Molson in Vancouver because that’s how I plan to wash down all the cheesy goodness.

If you would like to join me in my ode to Canada then check out this basic poutine recipe from RecipeZaar.


3 comments:

San said...

Yessss! Love this! I'm Canadian and have an appreciation for those who can enjoy a delicious plate of poutine! Cheers!

Julie said...

Its funny...I had Poutine tonight!!! I'm a french-canadian (acadien)from New-Brunswick and love poutine even tough I have a degree in Sciences-Nutrition (nutritionist!) -- just don't tell anyone!! ;) Your poutine looks sooo good!!! They also have another kind of poutine down here...an Acadian poutine but it's realllllly different.. it's pork meat inside a ball of cooked and raw shredded potatoes..boiled in a broth!! It looks like a brain...no kidding! Not everyone likes it..I just cant get used to it!! :)
Julie

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm! I love poutine and get it every time I'm in Vancouver! I live in WA and can't understand why it hasn't mmigrated to us!
Cheers!
Q!