Saturday, May 29, 2010

Knock-Off Wood

DIY.

So I’ve been trying to find an inexpensive solution for an outdoor dining table and chairs. Unfortunately, even my favorite “low-price” retailers charge a bit more than I wanted to shell out for a temporary outdoor solution. That’s when I got the bright idea that I could build my own table and chairs. I didn’t really have a plan but I still thought it was a good idea.

Luckily, I stumbled across Knock-Off Wood. This brilliant site teaches the inexperienced carpenter how to make their own versions of popular store-bought options. Each instruction sheet gives you a shopping list, cut list, tool list and in-depth directions with drawings.

And here is our final result. We’re so pleased and we saved a bundle by building it ourselves.



6 comments:

Pam said...

It is beautiful! Can we ask how much it cost in supplys?

erica said...

Just found your blog and I am absolutely loving it! Very chic post!

You have a new follower!

xo

Shanley said...

just found your blog. Love this table! Perusing through more posts...

Hip Hostess said...

Good question, Pam. We spent $150 on supplies, but you could definitely bring the cost down even more. We had a special tinted stain (only available in a gallon...WAY more than needed)and higher grade of wood. I would say those upcharges easily tacked on another $20 over more standard options.

I would definitely recommend tackling one of the Knock-Off Wood projects. It's fun, easy, and you feel pretty pleased with yourself when you're done!!

And welcome, FMF and Shanley! We hope you enjoy our musings.

coolkids said...

super impressed!!!!! BTW love your view as well.:) I miss the city!-Betsy

paige renee said...

Wow - I'm so impressed! And I agree, your view is amazing! :)