Wedding Cake Trends.
Oh how I love a beautiful wedding cake. It's the perfect mix of two of my favorite things...delicious dessert and design. So when I received an email from the incredibly talented Liz Shim of Eat Cake Be Merry featuring some new photos of her work, I was positively giddy.
Liz was also kind enough to share some of the trends that she is seeing in wedding cake designs. I think these are great tips in choosing a design that adds such a special touch to your big day. Thanks, Liz!!
Wedding cakes have always been the main centerpiece of receptions. Here are some trends in cake design to follow this upcoming year:
1. Graphic images and patterns: Many couples use very modern, creative, and elaborate graphics to bring cohesion to all their printed such as invitations, menus, place cards, and programs. Why not the cake too? There's been a growing trend in tying the elements of those very graphics into their cake design.
2. Monograms: It's personal and elegant. Cursive scripts are timeless, but modernizing a monogram with simple fonts such as Neutra text can really make a cake trendy.
3. Playing with tiers: Variations in the shape and height of tiers can create an up to date and impressive product. Try hexagon, blossom, or oval shapes in combination with circles and squares. Or, consider going higher than the standard 4" height of tiers. Cakes that are tall and narrow look delicate and have an added a sense of sophistication.
4. Eco-Friendly: Being eco-friendly is trendy for everything right now. Naturally, this includes cake also! Color schemes that embrace variations of greens and browns deliver a meaningful message to your guests and perfectly complement the environment of an outdoor wedding.
5. Vibrant colors on a simple canvas. For brides that desire to have the traditional look of a white cake, but somehow want to add a little modern flair, color is the answer. Consider a tall pleated white cake with one oversized ruby colored flower. Very chic!