Monday, December 21, 2009

Bourbon Balls

Holiday Confection Recipe.

Every family has their own traditional foods for the holidays. When I was growing up I used to help my grandma make all kinds of sweet treats, but my absolute favorite to make and eat was bourbon balls. Being a Kentucky-raised woman, "Mam" would not let a Christmas pass without these intoxicating treats on the table.

Now that I have my own kitchen ,you will always find a bottle of Jim Beam in my pantry that is forbidden for imbibing. It's sole purpose is for a little holiday splurge. Add this to your repetoire for the holidays. You'll love it!

Image from Shutterboo502

Chocolate Bourbon Balls

1/2 cup butter
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted (more as needed)
4 tablespoons bourbon
pecan halves
1 package semi sweet chocolate chips

Cream butter. Add sugar gradually. Beat well. Slowly add the bourbon, blending well. Chill 1 hour or more. Roll into 1" balls. Chill again for 1 hour or more.

Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler. Gently dip each ball in the chocolate and place on waxed paper. At this time before the chocolate sets place the pecan half on the top with a gentle push. Chill. Store in a covered container

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look adorable but do they have a strong alcohol taste? I'm looking for something to make for a holiday engagement party for a friend but I have never tasted a bourbon ball in my life. Would they be good for an afternoon party?

Hip Hostess said...

100 Proof Bourbon (like Maker's Mark) has a sweeter taste and will seem less strong even though it's actually stronger. For an afternoon event, I would cut the bourbon amount in 1/2 if you are concerned.

Enjoy!