Saturday, July 18, 2009

How to Make a Birdcage Veil

DIY.

I recently utilized my craftiness to help a friend make a birdcage veil. I have to admit that I believed I could pull it off, but I was really concerned about making it look just right...I didn't want to mess up her wedding day look with my lack of skill. Luckily, I was able to pull it off and I thought I'd share with you how I did it and offer some pointers along the way.



What you need:
1 yd of 18" wide ivory/white Russian netting
1/4 yd each of ivory/white organza and organdy
1/2 yd of ivory/white tulle
Thread and needle
fabric glue
hair comb/clip
felt (optional)
white feathers (optional)

1. Take the 18" x 18" piece of Russian netting and trim according to the chart below. If you want the veil to taper more, start cutting closer to the halfway point of the sides. 2. Starting on the end opposite of where you trimmed, sew a running stitch along the entire side being sure to stitch through the little squares at each netting intersect.


3. Pull the thread taught so that you end up with a gathered end like this. Knot the end of the thread. Arrange the pleats as you like and sew the entire edge to a hair comb.

Now we move on to the flower. I used the Martha Stewart tutorial from her Summer '09 Wedding Magazine....with a twist. Here's how it goes.

1. Cut the following template from Martha Stewart Weddings. Using this template cut out the pattern in organdy, organza, and tulle. I used 4 each of organdy & organza, with 8 tulle.

2. Overlap the different layers alternating fabrics, staggering the layers so the petals don't perfectly line up on each layer. Now run a couple of stitches in the center to keep these all in place.

3. Fold the stack in half.

4. Fold this portion in half again, and stitch along the 2 edges that meet. You only need to sew about halfway up that edge.


5. Now you can move the petals around a bit to open the "flower" and form it how you would like.

6. Cut 2 small rounds of felt or left over organdy. On one of the cirles arrange the loose feathers so that they evenly extend outwards. Liberally apply fabric glue and apply the second fabric round. Allow to dry completely.

7. Now adhere the fabric flower to the feather base. Apply a small amount of the fabric glue to the center of the feather base. Position the flower on the base. Using just very outer petals of the flower add 4 - 6 stitches around the egde of the circluar base to further secure the flower and feathers together. Allow glue to dry.


8. Stitch the flower and feather to the edge of the comb above the Russian netting. Ta da! You have a birdcage veil.


A couple of things to note.
* I made the length of the veil fairly long. You can certainly trim it to be quite a bit smaller.
* If you would like to secure the tapered side with a comb, you follow the same steps as you would for the other side. The reason why I opted not to do so, was so that the bride could keep the veil on all night and simply flip the netting to the back out of her face.
* Organdy and organza are fairly expensive, which is why I used more of the tulle to create a full flower while lessening the expense.
* Total Cost for this veil was $4o (and that's with crazy NYC fabric store prices!)

54 comments:

Pixie said...

That is beautiful! I can't believe you made that and for only $40. When I was looking at veils they were so expensive and utterly ugly or over done.

Rach said...

it looks amazing! i'm going to try making one. Thanks for the instructions :D

Mrs. Newlywed said...

Beautiful!

I love birdcage veils. They are just so timeless and classic.

Sprout said...

Fabulous complete and clear instructions - thank you!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Wow, it's gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing this, I'll be linking.

leni said...

it looks great!

love-v said...

That is amazing, thank you for the picture laden tutorial! Half of those DIY projects look too beautiful to make at home.

Katy said...

ok, so I've got all my supplies. My question is this: What size flower did you use from the MS template? There are like 4 different sizes to choose from. I'll be working on the veil part and anxiously waiting for your reply!
Thanks!
Katy
http://bride-to-bekatyd.blogspot.com/

Hip Hostess said...

Katy...I tried to post a comment on your blog, but I was having technical difficulties. I hope you are checking back here too! The template was not up and running yet at Martha when I made this veil, so I had to draw my own. The size that I used was approximately 8 inches across the widest point. I hope that helps! Send me an email at amber@hiphostessny.com if you have any other questions (I'll be away from an actual computer for the next few days, but I can check email via bbery)

farrah said...

and might i say mrs. sipic looked BEAUTIFUL in her veil!!!

SoonToBe said...

WOW! Thats so neat! Was it much cheaper than buying it somewhere? Well, thats a dumb question of course right? Where did you buy the netting? Just at a regular fabric store?

Babe in Babeland said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jules said...

I thought others interested in making your own would appreciate this site where you can order a comb and the fabric~

http://www.veilubridal.com/russian-net-birdcage-veils.htm

JacQui said...

This is Fantastic, instructions are clear and understandable..... Thank you sooo much!!!!

Wendy said...

That looks GREAT! Where did you get the Russian netting from?

mjb7112 said...

Nice job! Thanks for taking the time to share your technique with us! Your generosity is going to add some happiness to my wedding!

Anonymous said...

beautiful! thanks for sharing!

Mona K said...

I don't know if there are Joann's in the NYC area....but they have organza for about $5 a yard, and you can make a lot of flowers for that!
Great tutorial.

Anonymous said...

Hi, this step by step instructions are great! I'm so exited, I've ordered my Russian Netting from veilubridal and then gotten everything else except... Do you need both Organza and Organda? I can't find Organda in any fabric shops in Sydney.. Can you suggest something else? Would Silk or Satin work? Cheers Lynda

Cel Design Jewellery said...

Brilliant instructions, have been searching the net for ages! Thank you so much!

Anna said...

Of all the tutorials I looked up on this, yours was the most helpful! Thanks so much, can't wait to make my own!!

motherofthebride said...

I am going to try to make a birdcage veil for my daughter's wedding. My mother made my veil years ago, so my daughter and I thought it would be special if I could make hers. My question is regarding the amount of netting required. Your instructions say to purchase 1 yard, however the pattern looks like you use an 18 inch square. Did you say one yard because the netting is only sold by the yard? Or can I purchase a half yard of 18 inch wide netting?
Thank you so much for the step by step instructions!

5inchheels said...

I am going to a wedding in April and I wanted to make a really sweet one with colors that compliment my dress. These instructions were really great!

Lynda said...

Hi, I followed your instructions and cut the netting 18" x 18" but it's too small? It won't fit over my head?

Lori said...

I made one and it looks OK, but I can't get it as puffy on top as yours. How did you do that?

katrinna louise said...

Thank you for sharing this! I'm trying to make one for my friend right now. :)

Melissa said...

My mom and I are going to attempt to make mine using your instructions, thanks for posting them!

Anonymous said...

That is amazing! Thank you for sharing, it really is beautiful!

louis vuitton tivoli pm said...

Thank you for sharing this!

louis vuitton damier neverfull mm said...

it looks great!

Anonymous said...

Hello,
So I'm a MOH to a very budget conscious bride and I followed your instructions and made her the veil. She loves it!!! thanks so very much for helping.

Lizzi Sims said...

These instructions are amazing! Thank you so much! The only thing I'm having trouble is finding organdy... I can only find it in ribbons, not in wider fabrics. Is there another fabric I could use? I'm making mine in teal and can't find any in the right color. I found netting, but I can't find the right fabrics to make the flower with. Does anyone have any suggestions?

zafiro80 said...

just what i was looking for! beautiful tutorial thank you!

Desiree said...

hey this is fantastic! i live in new york too and i cant seem to find a good fabric store. whered you go?

Anonymous said...

OMG! THAT IS SO EASY,I AM FOR SURE MAKING MY OWN BIRD CAGE VEIL,THANKS SO MUCH!

Inviting Concepts said...

WOW! You are really have awesome ideas.

lilygirl said...

this is so cool. i love this type of veil. when i am going to get married i will definitely follow your instructions. i will be trying to make one.

Anonymous said...

Just what my daughter and I were looking for. I am excited about making this with her.

Mutuelle sante said...

Thank you it was a very good guide, now to make a birdcage veil is definitely easy by using your advice. Thanks

Fascinating Diamonds said...

very coool & very innovative.. thank you for sharing..if all other bloggers would have been so kind then the web world would have been a much better place than what it is now :D

Diamond Engagement Rings

Rachat de credit said...

Thank you it was a good help, now to make a birdcage veil is simple and easy utilizing your information. Kudos

bayliy said...

I love this length!

It’s flattering for everyone, can match almost any dress style and silhouette, and is low

maintenance.

I am inspired to add a flyaway or 2 to my new collection :)

Great article!

Anonymous said...

hello i was wondering what kind of feathers are those and where can I get them.
thanks

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Exactly what I had in mind for my own veil, but I had no idea how to make it or where to get it. I'm thinking it will go perfectly with my home-made vintage '50s dress. I will certainly try this as soon as possible!

drjigg1 said...

It's so intrusting and wounder full knowledge, witch you had share.It"s related to the bird cage viels.Its fantastic and informative .I like and saved ,Thanks for submission.....

sir adam said...

bird cage bridal veils very nice to see that you are doing for some good so i would like to thank you for sharing such a beautiful cages so nice of you dear i hope that you will post more for us

bettyjones said...

LOVE IT!

bedroom ideas said...

HI
How to Make a Birdcage Veil
nice and useful! i would like to say thank you about this cool post & your Decent a site….
thank you!

white leather sofa said...

Good day,
Hip Hostess
I conceive this article truly is different. I am a big fan of this website, would like you to continue proceeding with updates.

17 again zac efron clothes said...

Beautiful truly adorable. Like this post.

deepak wpi said...

Beth, I’m so glad we were able to help you save some money and also add a personal touch to your wedding veil. I think the lace trim will be easier to attach if the tulle is still flat,


Wedding Halls in Long Island

rushika nayak said...

i think we just posted at the same time. oh boy. guess we should both be in bed by nowWedding Long Island

Musank said...

Thank you so much!

Because of this post, I was able to complete my own wedding birdcage veil...I'm so happy!!

Here's the process and result of my Wedding DIY Birdcage Veil if you want to take a look.

Thank you again!!

Gemma said...

Thank you so many for sharing!