Thursday, April 18, 2013
The Ole' Burger
Makes 4 burgers
4 thin slices serrano ham
1/4 tsp crumbles saffron threads
1 tbsp warm water
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3/4 lb. uncured chorizo sausage, removed from skins and crumbled
3/4 lb. ground pork
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
3 oz. manchego cheese, thinly sliced
4 onion buns, split and toasted
Boston lettuce leaves
2/3 cup drained roasted peppers
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay ham in single layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Top with a second piece of parchment paper and another baking sheet. Bake until crisp about 8 to 10 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, sprinkle saffron over warm water. Let stand 15 minutes, then stir in mayonnaise.
3. In a large bowl, combine sausage meat, pork, parsley, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper until combined. Form into four 1/2 inch thick patties.
4. Preheat barbecue to medium. Grill patties, turning once, until no longer pink inside, 10 to 12 minutes. Top each with cheese.
5. Spread buns with saffron mayo. Fill with lettuce, burgers, roasted peppers and ham.