Monday, February 28, 2011

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake

Recipe.

I have this thing where I convince myself that any recipe with oatmeal is healthy. Apple Crumble...healthy. No Bake Cookies...healthy. Oatmeal Raisin Cookies...definitely healthy. The fact that butter, sugar, and all sorts of naughty ingredients are also involved means nothing to me.

So I am VERY happy to share my newest "healthy" recipe test - Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake...and as an added bonus, it contains booze! I got the base recipe from Bake or Break (an awesome recipe resource) and made a few tweaks based on what I had available in my pantry, and I loved it. It's the perfect comfort food cake for these ever frigid days. Enjoy!



Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake

1 1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon liquor, such as bourbon or whiskey (I used Canadian Club)
1 & 1/2 cups + 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small cubes, at room temperature
2 room temperature eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 & 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 & 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375°. Butter the sides and bottom of a 9″x13″ baking pan.

Toss chocolate chips with liquor in a small bowl. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of flour over the chips and toss until coated. Set aside.

Heat 1 & 1/4 cups water to boiling. Place the oats and butter in a large bowl. Pour boiling water over oat mixture. Wait 30 seconds, then stir to moisten oats and melt the butter. Seat aside for 25-30 minutes.

Whisk eggs, sugars, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Fold in oatmeal, stirring until well combined. Fold in remaining flour, and then stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake 40-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 30 minutes.

** When using a convection oven **
I reduced the temp to 350 and only baked for 30 - 32 minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wowzers....Oatmeal, chocolate AND Whiskey? What's not to love about that!
Sounds awesome and like you have put it so well: definitely healthy.

Unknown said...

I just tried making this cake. AMAZING. SO GOOD. I topped it with creamcheese frosting with a little fresh grated nutmeg added in. Huge hit.