Saturday, June 6, 2009

Viva Blueberry

Cocktail.
Last week, my hip hubby and I took a little sojourn to Las Vegas for some much needed R&R. Imagine my delight when he said to me, "Instead of spending a lot of money on a show, let's just go to the nicest restaurants and enjoy good food." Were we meant to be together or what?

Vegas is so over the top in it's food and drink presentation that I did not miss seeing Phantom for the 3rd time at all! And while I assure you that I'll have many other Vegas design revelations to share, my first one is a cocktail that I totally fell for at Daniel Boulud - Blueberry Lavender Lemonade. The tartness of the lemon mixed with the muddled blueberries was heaven.

And thanks to the mixology skills of The Bon Viant's Companion , I might be able to replicate this tasty treat. Check out the recipe below:


Lavender Lemonade
courtesy of The Bon Viant's Companion
1 ½ oz Vodka (preferably citrus flavored)
½ oz Lavender-ginger simple syrup (below)
Mint
Blueberries
Fresh squeezed, or organic lemonade

Prepare in the glass portion of a Boston Shaker so you can see the cocktail as you build it.Place 3 or 4 medium mint leaves, and 4 to 6 blueberries in the shaker. Cover with ½ oz of the simple syrup. Muddle ingredients. Add ice. Add 1 ½ oz vodka. Add 4 oz lemonade. Shake ingredients. Pour contents of shaker into a tall glass. Garnish with mint leaves and a straw.

Lavender-Ginger Simple Syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
½ inch slice of ginger cut into thin pieces
1 tsp food quality lavender

Place sugar and water into small pot. Once the sugar has dissolved all lavender and ginger. Slowly reduce over low heat for 10 minutes. Should produce about 1 ½ cups of liquid. Store in fridge for up to a month.

1 comment:

Cecily said...

Hi! Was just curious - is the lavender supposed to be fresh or dried? Or does it matter?