Thursday, December 18, 2008

My Big Fat REAL Wedding - Favors

Lesson #6
DIY's take time...do as many things as possible in advance.

I'm here to tell you that even the most prepared bride can become overwhelmed during the last 2 weeks before the wedding. When you look at the checklists from magazines, you will notice that the responsibilities during the last month jump up to a dizzingly high amount. It's really easy to just run out of time to do all of the DIY projects that you wanted to incorporate. So it is my opinion that it's never too early to start on those projects. A perfect example of this was our wedding favors.

In keeping with our desire to make every detail very personal, we decided to do miniature banana breads (my husband's favorite snack since he was a kid) in bakery boxes. Now at first glance this may seem like it must be done towards the end...but there was plenty of room for advance work.

First, I purchased the banana bread boxes and coordinating sized baking tins at least 9 months before the wedding. Then I had the joy of assembling 125 of these boxes...like most of my DIY projects I did this leisurely while watching quality shows like Rock of Love with Bret Michaels. The next step was adhering ribbon to those boxes for a decorative element. Then...I created laminated recipe cards to place inside the boxes with the banana breads. I used the same design that I created for our invitations. That's when I shipped all of the boxes to my in-laws outside of Chicago, where they sat for 7 months in sealed boxes in their basement - aka. Amber's wedding basement.

About a month before our wedding, we were in Chicago for our shower. So we took advantage of this time to bake all 125 banana breads. We then individually wrapped them all in plastic wrap and froze them. So all that was left the weekend of our wedding was to put our little banana bread bundles in the boxes with the recipe cards. I think it took us a total of 5 minutes with the help of 2 friends.

So what's the point of this long-winded story? If I had waited until the last month to complete this project I may have just scrapped it and gone with something else...or had to pay someone 3-4 times as much to create my vision. Instead, we ended up with delicious & adorable favors that everyone devoured on our way to our wedding after-party. --a

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea and very cute. This would be a great addition to any party, not just weddings.

Anonymous said...

We are planning to do the same for our favors as my fiance is freakishly into his mum's banana bread recipe! May I ask where you found your bakery boxes?

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Those favors are gorgeous and an awesome idea.

Ever since my fiance proposed to me with a gorgeous diamond engagement ring from www.idonowidont.com I have been planning our wedding 24/7.

I love the idea of having yummy baked goods inside these little boxes and want to do this for our guest favors too!

Orchard Packaging USA said...

It is time to update the custom packaging styles. Today, the cosmetic industry is very growing fast and creams are themselves are a new industry. We manage the brands to improve their sales volume with ground-breaking packaging. Durable Cream Boxes that can gain the attention of customers are made in charming designs. Custom prints are designed with free tooling, die, and plate charges and no extra charges for print support. Cosmetic Boxes are an effortless source of advertisement for the brand. You can request an online quotation according to your desire by visiting our website. Valuable customer representation is provided with free shipment worldwide.