- 1 cup water
- 3 pieces of lemongrass, about 2 inches long
- 2 tsp black tea leaves
- 2 cups milk (we use almond milk, but any kind will do)
- sugar, to taste
- 1/2 tsp chai masala (or more if you want a spicier chai)
- Add the lemon grass to the one cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Add the almond milk, tea, sugar and chai masala.
- Bring to a boil again.
- Strain and serve hot.
- The traditional ratio for milk to water is half and half. So if you are using full fat milk, use 1.5 cups water and 1.5 cups milk.
- Feel free to add any of the following to your chai:
mint leaves, ginger, saffron, orange zest, holy basil, black pepper, carom seeds (ajwain), star anise or any other spices or herbs you might want to try