Is there anything else that makes quite an impact as much as beautiful table setting when entertaining? Everybody dreams of having the perfect table settings, but just like anything else it takes a little practice, creativity and some basic principles. As most of us don’t have a plethora of different and interesting objects or dishes at our fingertips, we often have to compromise to achieve the look we want.
* Select items for your tablescape based on the size and scale of the table surface.
* Select an odd number for your composition; an old rule of thumb is that groupings of 3, 5, 7 or 9 is more pleasing to the eye than even number groupings.
* Layer items, similar to how an artist creates a scene, with a background, middle ground, and foreground .
* Use household objects like hardcover books or boxes as pedestals to elevate objects.
* Use both highs and lows to give dimension and depth
* Vary some of the textural elements in the tablescape - light/dark; shiny/matte; curves/straight lines.
* The most important guideline is to use your own personal treasures, things that inspire you, to create your own tablescape masterpiece.